Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mmmmm, Mercury!

Another doctor appointment down and another chapter in my life begins!

I received very good news and some moderate news from my doctor today. My metal testing results came back and I do in fact have mercury poisoning. This would be the moderate news. I refuse to call it bad news, because it explains the lingering symptoms and gives me an avenue to attack them. What an amazing blessing it is to have a doctor that recognizes the lingering symptoms I've had that have been barely touched by my Lyme treatment...ringing in my ears, the fatigue, heart issues, vertigo, brain function, etc....and then also pursue the cause and treatment. Back in May when I told him I was still struggling with the vertigo, ears ringing and fatigue (which was strange because of my other symtpoms decreasing so drastically), he immediately suspected heavy metal toxicity of some sort. As suspected, my mercury test in particular came back extremely elevated, giving me a diagnosis of mercury poisoning. I was already put on a chelation therapy in the form of pesto in May, and now with test results, heavy detox begins today! I will also be working with a specialized dentist to have all of my mercury, poison-inducing fillings removed and replaced by non-toxic fillings. It will likely be an expensive mouth upgrade, but an apparently way-past-necessary one.

The better part of this news is that these lingering symptoms are likely not Lyme-related at this point, and my doctor believes I'm very near the end of Lyme treatment. I'm on a plan to decrease my antibiotic over the next two months leading up to my much anticipated CD-57 test. If the test comes back as high as he believes it will, the Lyme treatment stops!! I will remain on about a quarter of my supplements at that point as I continue to build my health and immune system up. This chapter also begins with something else I've been waiting for - physical therapy!!! Yay! Waiting a year for the green light on that one hasn't been easy, but it's finally here. Protein shakes, which I had already been drinking anyway, have officially been prescribed. Look out, here come the muscles!!

I'm so excited to see where these new directions take me. I'm already feeling healthier than I have in more than 3 years, and am looking forward to being my healthiest ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment