Friday, April 24, 2009

Slow Learner

So, I've had this overwhelming desire for the past 6 months or so to get to the point of building my stamina, strength, and endurance back up. Every time I've tried in any form, and against medical advice, I've had to humbly accept defeat and deal with my consequences. Today was no different.

I was feeling good, all joint pain had gone away again, and I decide what better time than now to disobey my doctor and try to push myself. I started small, of course, which is disheartening in itself...2 sets of 3 different arm exercises with 3 pound weights, exercises I used to do with 8 pound weights. I at least had enough sense to stop there.

I felt GREAT afterwards, had the addictive good muscle burn I've been craving. Then 20 minutes later my heart started to race. Aw, shoot. Ten minutes after than my arms started trembling, followed by throbbing leg pains (wait, I did arm exercises...?), and then a trembling jaw that even made my teeth chatter and my lips went numb and started to swell. This is how weird Lyme Disease can be...stupid borrelia burgdorferi.

My heart rate recovered after about a half hour, the leg throbbing has let up a little bit and now feels like a throbbing numbness, and the trembling is now feeling like more of an electric buzz in my arms and jaw. My bottle of water still shakes when I pick it up. I'm sure this was just the proverbial slap on the hand, and tonight or tomorrow, and possibly for the next couple days, will be when I really pay for it.

Oh, well. I'll probably try again in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment