Friday, May 15, 2009

Oh, Babesiosis!

It strangely hasn't been a good month for me, which is disheartening because I was doing so well and so hopeful with all the progress I was making.

The last month some symptoms have returned and worsened and suspicions are that Babesia (a known Lyme co-infection) might be the culprit. My previously eliminated chills and sweats have returned, as have my headaches and stiff necks. I'm constantly 'hungry' for air and feel like I'm not able to breath. My vertigo has come back with such a vengence that I have had episodes of dry heaving if I even try to sit up. My appetite is horribly poor...like my body doesn't care if I eat, in fact it would prefer I didn't. Fortunately my brain knows better, but that only makes that battle more vicious.

I'll be going over some blood work with my doctor next Wednesday, and might be getting the answer then. He already suspected Babesia, so it's likely I will be starting treatment for it then. I'm not sure what that will all involve yet if he decides to go ahead with it. Babesia is considered a parasitic infection, as opposed to bacterial, so antibiotics won't treat it. It is treated most effectively with antimalarial medication, but I'm not sure for how long. Maybe now would be a good time to go to Africa!

If you could look through my eyes for a moment, this might actually be very good news! I know that sounds strange. The Babesia isn't as evasive as the Lyme bacteria, so treatment should be more effective. I've also heard from some that it's easier to put Lyme into remission after Babesia is killed off...and that would be a dream come true. The alternative would be Lyme no longer responding to my treatment and that would be pretty devastating.

Bring on the Babesiosis! Wednesday won't get here fast enough.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO sorry Tiffany that you are having such a rough time lately. I can relate. Know that I am praying for you girl! Keep us posted what you find out on Wednesday. I have also heard that the co-infections are a bit easier to treat for and so many people w/ Lyme do have that specific one. I wonder if it pops up when Lyme is about to go in remission, as you said you were feeling so good. Anyways, just wanted you to know that you are covered in prayer!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete